A Better Version of Myself.

Glimpses of a life that will not provoke jealously or resentment, rather, a simplistic understanding of an understated life.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

It has been determined.

By experts and doctors alike.. that I am a fat ass. This entry will be the only reference to this. so enjoy.


I went to Grinnell on Thursday to see a brilliant doctor who was the final step before it was official. I will be having Gastric Bypass surgery. The earliest will be end of September, the latest will be mid-October. This decision comes from years of contemplation.. it is not an easy choice to make. Truth about me is that as funny as I think I am and as much as I enjoy making others feel at ease with sarcasm and self depreciating humor- I am not a healthy girl. My health has been deteriorating significantly in the last two years. My doctor and several surgeons see this as the most realistic option, and I agree. My family history is tagged with obesiety ( I love that word by the way) as well as heart failure, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. It is waiting for me. My father died at 38 of a heart attack after having a pace maker put in when he was in his early thirties- not something I want to sign up for. I am looking for a better quality of life- an I am actively searching for it- I am going after it. All I ask is for your support. If you choose to judge me, right on- but I don't need it in my life, so keep it to yourself. Yes , I have thought about the risk and tried many other options. I have genetics working against me.


What will happen to Claire? I will be in the hospital for three+ days. The Surgeon will make an incision from my rib cage to my belly button. They will create a small stomach pouch (that hold about 3/4 cup) and they will re-attach this pouch to my lower intestine. For me, they will attach my new pouch at a lower spot because of the amount of weight I have to loose. My entire lifestyle will change. I will not be drinking pop, smoking (already nixed), eating sweets, all that stuff. I will eat six small meals a day- and by small I mean no more than 3/4 of a cup. Once I have recovered I will exercise and do all of that stuff that people do to loose weight. This is not an easy process... it is not the easy way out. It is going to be a significant life change and I am counting on you to be there for support. (I will be able to drink alcohol again... it may just be awhile.. and I will be a super cheap date...yeah)

How quickly will Claire loose the weight? That depends on how i choose to approach this. It is expected that I will loose 30lbs in the first month. I have a lot of weight to loose and with the way they are setting it up- It should come off quite quickly... if I do my part.

Will Claire change her personality? Well, I suppose it is inevitible that my personality will change... I have spent most of my years putting every person before myself and and that is very easy for people to like... I am putting myself first here. With this I will have a greater sense of self and a better quality of life. I will still be the funniest person you know, not to worry. I will still perform whitney Houston at the Garden with Sam. I will still do the dance with Bongsley at ryan's.... and I will still have dedication to making this world a better place for people with disabilities. But I will look damn good in pair of deisel jeans while I am doing it- yeah- I'll shake it at cha!

Let me know if you have any questions- Ask me anything-I am past the point of being embarassed by this.

Much. love.
c

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boss Mamma-
You should not have any reasons to be embarassed about a choice YOU have made that will benefit YOUR life. Kudos to you and best of luck...As always im here for you no matter what.
love
Chills

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh baby, never be embararassed about improving your health status. my aunt and two cousins did the same thing and it was a wonderful experience for all three of them. it has been 2-4 years with them and it continues to show improvements in their lives. from traveling to playing with their children to plain ole self esteem. i can tell you from losing 125 lbs myself... it will change you, but the true you will remain, and that person will bloom like you never imagined. i've had my weight off for 4+ years now and i still carry habits from my obese days. some things will never go away, you more than likely will tend to still think of yourself as a larger person while people tell you you're whittling away. but things like these are precious: not having to wear slip-on shoes, fitting into a movie theatre seat without doing the 1-2-3 slide and shift method, etting tights or pantyhose that work for you, seeing the seat belt you could have sworn you put on but could'nt seem to find and the list goes on baby. i no longer have knee and foot pains, and my gall bladder too has improved. my veins and stretched skin are constant reminders to stay healthy and fit. if you need ANYTHING, i can do my very best to be there for you.

and most importantly, a wise person once told me - never be ashamed of thinking of yourself first; afterall, if in an airplane and it's crashing... instructions are to put on the oxygen mask - you see elderly, disabled and children struggle to figure this out - your natural reaction (as a giving person) is to run and help them - - - but what good are you to them if you have not first put on you own mask - - point is clear, gotta to take care of you before others, that will come naturally for those like us. we need the challenge to focus on something that we chose to neglect, ourselves. i love you clairey - - kristi

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always seem to say the same thing here, i love you, i always say it because its always true, and it will always be true.

when you come visit, wear a name tag.

love

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe honey way to go! like i told you before i think i am more nervous about this whole thing then you are. and also you know that you and this is one of the reasons i came back for another year. i love you and the more support the better. plus you know how that whole before and after thing works (or really doesn't work) for me. don't hesitate to call me at any given moment! awe, i'm so excited for you!! love you number two....peace.

i heart c.b.l. - cody tyler

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right behind you gal!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im so excited for you! I hope everything goes well, and when it dose i want your docs number! If we cant chubby shop togeather we will skinny shop togeather! Love ya!
Anna

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no need for embarrasment, i can see you and steve running the many acres of your property now. know that donna and i are 100% behind you and are here for whatever you need, love ya bunches.......

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i get more info?

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home