A Better Version of Myself.

Glimpses of a life that will not provoke jealously or resentment, rather, a simplistic understanding of an understated life.

Friday, April 22, 2005

I believe....

I heard this clip on the radio that said that we are capable of acheiving anything we dream. Sounds a little far fetched, but it provoked a conversation in the car on the way to a meeting. I was riding with people that I do not know too well, as they have just arrived... they begin with dreams like," Looks like I'll be a billionaire!", and " I'll finally get that Hummer", (I was the only one who laughed). So in true fashion, I say, "I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside- " By this point, I am starting to sing and realize that every person in the vehicle is staring at me. NO ONE got it. no one. they replied with kind remarks about how I am such a giver and it was nice to think of people rather than money. to which I reply, "Oh- its a song. I would totally shoot for a few Hogan bags and Minolo's. I'm really not that nice." This reaction tail-spinned into what i will call: the most ackward 15 minutes of my life. I then siad I was joking but they didn't know what to believe and I thought the entire thing was super entertaining.


I spoke with the board of Directors for work yesterday... I was a bit nervous but it went really well. They were quite receptive to my speech and then asked me about myself. By the end I had them all laughing... ah yes... one board meeting at a time, I will capture their hearts with my quick remarks.

I was in chicago for eight days for trainings for the American Camping Association. It was an entertaining experience. I made a new friend , Neil, who by the end of the conference I had convinced that we would be singing Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' for everyone at breakfast. I even convinced him that we should make up dance moves. He is super cute, 29, and married. I won't hold the last part against him but it should make sense for all of you why we did not make out. The thing about Camping conferences is that there are tons of super excited people. and no drinks. (read: my sarcasm often got the best of me and the damn girl scouts evidently know nothing about how to repsond to cynicism and/or sarcasm. their bright eyed confused looks only give me more fuel.) The first four days I was at a camp near Wisconsin for the Basic camp Directors Course, which I will now say was a complete waste of both my time and $530. I did meet Neil, but I will probably never see him again- so I am going to say- still not worth $530. Now before you assume that i am unable to enjoy anything in life... let me in on the pot of gold that awaited at the end of this dreary rainbow.

I met a camp director from an ES camp in Kentucky. His name is Jim. This is Jim's first year involved in camping and his first time ever working with people with disabilities. Jim is a Mountaineer. he taught at the University of Iowa for the past 20 years and has been all over the world climbing his way to the top (literally- he has been to the Summit of 43 different mountains). He is starting a new program that will take folks with physical disabilities to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa in September 2006. It will be a 2-3 week trip where volunteers (me) will not have to pay but will assist individuals with disabilties up a huge mouintian. This is not a metaphor baby! This is the real thing. and I am going to do it. I know you have a few questions, so I will answer them for you here and now.

You: Do they sell smokes on the mountain? How will you survive?
Me: May 1st, 2005. Smoke-free. By the time I will climb the mountain i will be smoke free for 1 year and 4 months. My lungs should be at east half capacity by then.

You: Three weeks without a beer?
Me: Coolers have wheels. duh. and the altitude change can make for some great parties.

You: You're not exactly "in shape"....
Me: Dick, I can't believe you just said that. I know, I do not posses a Mountaineer's physical stature, but in a year and four months I will be prepared to climb it baby!

I hope that covers the three areas of questions, please comment with any others.

This is a once in a lifetime experience and I cannot wait. I told my boss thinking that she would be SO excited for me- not only that I am climbing a mountain but that I am doing it with folks with disabilities and working with an affiliate. Her response was, with jaw to the floor, "You're not going to die up there are you? I want them to sign a document that says you will return home safely, alive, and that they cannot recruit you to work for them." deal. I would have preferred an encouraging statement but I'll take what I can get.

I suppose that this all ties in full circle to dreaming what is perceived as the impossible. did I ever think that I would even plan to climb a mountain??? no. this is coming from a girl who while at the Uof I, took the bus uphill so she wouldn't have to walk the incline. Watch out superfans, I am on my way to Africa.

My best to all of you. My budget is due in a few so I need to be working on numbers, not dreaming mountains.

c

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you believe do you?

well i believe too, i believe that if you set foot on my back and don't travel down to my country i will hunt you down, not in that sexy stalker way either, in my powerful watch you while you sleep creep way. and you know i dont mind doing it.

aside from that... Woo hoo...
that is fuckin awsome. you better believe your gonna need to have quit smokin by may...

i aint been, but word on the street is that its a biatch...

answer my e-mail...

luke

by back i meant continent...gettit?

i'm very tired

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

claire (aus)i was talking about the climb up the mountain. not smoking.well done! quitting and all... thanks for the christmas card. i got about a week ago. i love the postal service.

oh, and claire (original) E MAIL ME!

L

oh, and ah, snow patrol (the band) rock.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you know that you write an average of 501 words per blog? that is just over half an A4 page of text (in times new roman, size 12). i knew you'd been wondering, so now you know.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey yo, Claire... You climbing a mountain is about the coolest thing I can think of... I have two comments: 1: Can I go?, and 2: for serious, be careful up there.... oh and three... can you email me your usps add so I can send you some music... this is chris... (lymanbostock@hotmail.com)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home