A Better Version of Myself.

Glimpses of a life that will not provoke jealously or resentment, rather, a simplistic understanding of an understated life.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Fitness Fusion

In the last week I have centered myself around previous enemy of my lifestyle. The gym. I have been going twice a day and am faithfully sticking to a "new eating plan" (code for diet). Why? Well, I'm fat and tired of it and the whole sloth look seems to be out this year. Who knew?

So Tuesday and Thursday morning I attend a class called Fitness Fusion with Jessica, a perky and super fit instructor. This class is a combination of Yoga and Pilates and its focus is building the entire body, creating better muscle awareness, and centering and focusing on one's "core". I walked in Tuesday morning with a commitment to myself that I was going to do my best and not get discouraged. there were only a few people in the class (which is at 6:00am I might add). I have seen both Yoga and Pilates on tv but never particularly had the desire to do either.

Ten minutes in to the Yoga part I was sweating like a fat bastard and breathing like air was free for only a few more seconds. why does everyone look so calm and relaxed in Yoga? Downward dog seems like a simple concept but this is a big dog... so it isn't as easy as it looks, but it will be. And that was the easy part. Pilates.... the exercise program that slipped my dignity away from me. the whole point with Pilates is to use your core (primarily abdomen &lower back muscles) to support all of your movements... rather than, say, momentum. Obviously, I misunderstood the assignment. I was all over the place like a drunken weeble. My core had left the building and I lost the ability to assume I knew how to breathe. On the "inward roll" type sit-up thing, I had to take the outside route as my "one vertebrate at a time" method was not an option. One vertebrate, even two- sure thing... and that is where I stopped, and LEANED to the right to lift my fat back off of the ground. (grunting loudly, evidently, is not common practice)

But I stuck with it and went back this morning for another dose. I was the only one in the class and she asked me if I wanted her to do the class. I hesitated but decided that I had been looking forward to it and would be delighted if she tortured me and my fat core for an hour or so. She was awesome. She explained all of the movements, taught me how to breathe and really use my abdomen to control all of my movements. the one vertebrate at a time roll-ups? Yeah, I did them, over and over again. I'll see her next Tuesday.... ooh yeah, me and my core are going to be kicking some serious Pilates ass next week.

Side note: there is one machine at the gym that I cannot quite get grips on. It serves two purposes, you can use it to strengthen the lower back while doing reverse sit up type things or you can use it for abs.... this is the thing I am having trouble with. I see the picture on the machine, but I have REALLY short legs and my little get away sticks are simply not long enough to hook behind the foot bars to gain leverage. You think I would accept this and move along... but this may come as a surprise, I am a bit competative, even with inanimate objects. So I try FOUR different times over the course of two hours and make a complete fool of myself in the process. I finally declare "you little bastard, you got me" and walk away as the gym bunnies glance over their shoulders.

I will have to say that watching 'The Biggest Loser' without eating a cheeseburger, pizza, or ice cream, won't provide the same entertainment, but we all get through it.

Happy New Year!
c

1 Comments:

Blogger Sreenivasa S said...

Hi you have got a good info on your blog which is worth reading, even I have a Muscle toning related website and blog. I should say good job done

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home